Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Fog!

Living on the coast presents new kinds of weather systems I never experienced in Australia, despite my proximity to the ocean. 
One issue is temperature. For those of you who know me well, I tune into the Weather Network every evening to find out how I should dress for work the next day. It's about the only TV show, besides Modern Family (which now that I think about it will be the theme of an upcoming blog) I watch. So, in July I dressed as per the given temperature but I was usually overdressed. That's because the temperature near the water is always cooler than the temperature inland where I live and work.
So, just like the temperature difference so is the air different by the water.  It was a clear sky and sunny at home and work (15 minutes apart) the last two weeks of October but about 8 degrees cooler with dense fog by the water.
This is all fine until you need to travel off the island.
The ferries are seldom affected by fog. They sail but blow their horns every 5 minutes or so. Just ask my mother who lives on a small southern gulf island.
But trying to fly can be nearly impossible as Keith found out.  It's hard enough we live apart but when he arrived at the Vancouver airport three weeks ago he was told no flights were flying into Victoria, the airport was closed due to fog. Frustrated his only option was the ferry. He finally arrived, albeit 5 hours late.
Vancouver International Airport
We went for a hike up Mt. Douglas and guess what we saw? Nothing... but fog!
The following week Iwent to Vancouver on business but the Vancouver airport was closed. So I took the Helijet, a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter that usually flies out of the harbour but due to the fog flew out of Victoria International Airport.
The San Juan Islands
Over the Strait of Georgia




Vancouver
Despite the fog being a nuisance it was spectacular to see from the air, truly like a downy blanket. Islands popped out of it. As it got dark, the lights on the islands underneath shone a luminous glow through it. As we approached Vancouver the Lions Gate Bridge was peeking out of it.
About to leave clear Vancouver Harbour but arrived in fog in Victoria
Inconvenient yes but eerily beautiful!

No comments: