Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Friday 11 November 2016

Juxtaposition

In my previous blog I reflected on the changes in the lives of black people I witnessed since I was last in Louisiana 30 years ago.  No longer were blacks only working in marginalized jobs or begging on the street but now they were integrated into all areas of society.

How things have changed in three days! I am very worried. 

What will an American President, elected and fueled by the hatred of white people who deeply resent those who are different - be it colour, gender, culture preference or belief - mean for these people and all of us?  

Due to the work of so many, over the past four decades all Americans have come to enjoy increased freedom and the benefits that come with it.  Now I am horrified to hear that some people are “hiding in the shadows”!

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada where we wear poppies and attend ceremonies in honour of those who fought for our freedom in the wars.

My father in law, Ray Lowe, fought in World War 2.  A Canadian of Chinese descent who was born in the city in which I reside – Victoria – he went to war at a time when Chinese Canadians did not have the right to vote and had paid a head tax to immigrate to Canada.  Yet Ray risked his life for Canadians.  His and so many others’ unselfish service to Canada and the world allows us to live in a peaceful democracy enjoying freedom of speech and a high level of equality for all people.  

In my lifetime I have seen how far we have come - advancing equity and human rights and freedoms. As a woman I have personally benefited. 


I will do whatever I can to defend these freedoms and not let things slip backwards into a past no one should experience… anywhere. 

No comments: