Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Saturday 13 April 2019

Return to the Philippines

Welcome Banner
I just returned from a business trip to the Philippines to develop partnerships with some colleges and Universities. I was looking into health and early childhood education programs.  All the colleges and universities were Christian founded. 
Early Childhood Education Graduates
Chapel with the Pope!  :)






I'd been to Manila for Christmas break with my daughters 15 years ago when my sister lived there while her husband worked for the Asian Development Bank.  Much was the same:  the friendly, family oriented people; the heat and humidity; the delicious fresh fruits. 

A local delicacy - "Flying Tilapia"




It was Mango season! 
I witnessed a lot of development in Manila and Makati  - the business district where we stayed. On arrival it was apparent that the airport was modernized and expanded. Sadly though, shanty towns of people living in extreme poverty were evident everywhere we traveled.




Makati Business District



Greenhills Shopping Centre - miles of knockoffs




Halo Halo - ice cream, coconut and jelly dessert
 In addition to staying in Manila for a few days I visited other islands and the municipalities of IloIlo, Guimaras Island and Bacolod City in Nigros Occidental Province.  My colleague was looking at hospitality programs so we visited several resorts. The white sand and clear, cool ocean was spectacular!


Island hopping and lunch at a resort on Guimaras Island
Unripe dates

Slums in front of new buildings near IloIlo


Pinoy Boys having fun in the water off IloIlo 

I learned a great deal from the kind, smart and generous people we met. The government is doing some progressive things, for example, colleges and universities are free for students.  The road to economic development is slow but is happening in this beautiful country. 

No comments: