Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Sunday 22 June 2014

Returning (to a former) home



I'm in the UK!  I arrived yesterday or was it earlier today? I’m a little jet lagged.
Some of you know I lived in London 34 years ago! It’s hard to believe it, where has the time gone? Yet, I have a few ‘things’ to show for it that I never fathomed back then... namely wonderful adult children who too have taken this trek!
In the intervening years, spurred on by the Olympics in 2012, some parts of London have changed. Heathrow, for example, was unrecognizable, now a modern, efficient airport that whisked me out the door in minutes. I hopped on the new, purple luxury express train to Paddington station and in no time was near my old haunts of Bayswater and Queensway. 
Sitting at an outdoor café I enjoyed tea like I haven’t tasted in years and breakfast, since Air Canada now only provides a muffin and margarine!  I sat and people watched and harkened back to the days of my youth, remembering friends who had lived nearby and all the adventures, good and not so good we experienced together.  Some had experienced enormous sadness and challenges at their young age and I wondered if they were even still alive.  I realize those relationships grounded my memories of Britain. Sadly, I have lost touch with them all.
The neighbourhood is more upscale now, having transitioned from poor student hostels to high end hotels, not surprising given the quick access to Kensington Park and Oxford Street.

When I went to pay my bill my money was declined! Apparently the (unrecognizable to me) pound notes I bought in Canada were replaced last month!  I would have to go to a bank and change them, but none were open on a Sunday.   
With luggage in tow and little energy left I took the tube to Kings Cross then a train to Canterbury, my destination for the next few days. It was a relief to get out of the city and into the serene, verdant, pastures of rural England with their tidy hedge bordered fields. Some were dotted with cows, horses, sheep and lambs.
Arriving with throngs of other tourists in Canterbury I found my hotel behind the with adjoining pub and carvery and checked in to my teeny room, yet with all amenities. 
Time to catch some zzzs. I’m sure there is more adventure to come!
    

No comments: