Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Wednesday 6 August 2014

Neptunia

Stefanie and I went to Portland Oregon for the long weekend to find her an apartment before she starts Chiropractic College in the fall.
As usual, travelling with Stefanie is an adventure.
This time it was my car.
I bought my Nissan Altima when the new model came out in 2002.  I loved the colour, it was called Neptunia and was an ocean blue. In fact on part of the drive through Washington the sea was right beside the road and I commented to Stefanie that it matched my car.
It travelled back and forth from Edmonton to Victoria and Pender Island many times, moved me here last summer and more recently hauled boxes and stuff to this house.
Until I moved to Victoria it hadn't cost me much. An oil change when needed and the odd tune up.
Packed and ready to go
But in the past few months it had been unhappy and making a noise.
So we were about an hour north of Portland when the oil light came on then the car started to slow down. I drove off the highway and made it to a station hoping it was something minor. The gas station attendant directed us to a Fleet Service down the road.

The owner graciously had his mechanics look at it. They determined that it was burning oil so added some into the tank. After some consultation they confirmed that the engine was on its last legs and would not get us to Portland.
The owner recommended a rental car and phoned and booked us one then hooked up his GPS to the car so we could go get it.
A customer, hearing this and worried we wouldn't make it, offered to drive us out of his way to get the rental car. Enroute he problem solved any obstacle, gave us his card and offered Stef help when she moved to Portland.
We were able to get a rental car that we could return back at our point of entry to the US, the ferry terminal at Port Angeles, on our departure. A couple of women ahead of us were renting a car because their vehicle had also broke down.
We drove back to the Fleet Service and the owner had checked and a new engine would cost as much as the car was worth. After conferring on what to do he offered to take my car off my hands.
So we removed the plates and fortunately what little we had in the car. We loaded up our rental car and still made it to Portland for Stefanie to see her first apartment on time!
The rental car

Neptunia was a good car and we have many happy memories. I think she decided to retire to the warmer climate of the south. I hope she'll be happy.
Neptunia

Despite the smile I'll miss my car

I rarely needed to drive it as I walk to work and have many amenities nearby.  Now I really have to ride or walk everywhere!
Keith will be here in a couple of weeks with his SUV so we may be a one car family.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a bit of a bummer right there, but maybe it's for the best. Neptunia served you well, from the looks of things. Though I'm kind of hoping that someone gives it the engine that it needs, so that it rides into the freeways again, albeit in a new form and manner, or context. All the best!

Felicia Simmons @ Brandon Auto Repair

Unknown said...

A broken car in the middle of an exciting trip must've been quite frustrating. Good thing you met those helpful guys, who helped you get to your destination. Anyway, I can only imagine how depressing it was to say goodbye to your dearest car. I hope you find a new car that will stay with you for quite some time. Keep safe, Cynthia!

Bradford Oliver @ LaCustoms

Unknown said...

Saying goodbye to a beloved car is like bidding farewell to your comfort zone. You’ve been always sure, for the past few years, that you’ll reach your destination -- as long as you drive that car. But the fact remains that at some point, you have to let Neptunia have her much-deserved rest, and finally look for a replacement car. It’s hard to step into the change, but then it will all be worth it in the end. Keep safe!

Colin Morton @ Sea Port Auto