Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Thursday 4 September 2014

My wonderful husband!


Keith and I have been together 9 years. For a year of that time I lived in Adelaide.  While I was there we decided we would get married on my return, in March of 2013. At that time I was being interviewed for my current position in Victoria.

Before I applied for the job we discussed the possibility of moving to Victoria. Although we both knew it would mean sacrifices including leaving those we loved most, we decided it was a good way to ease into retirement. The weather here is mild and the long Prairie winters were getting tedious. 

The job market is limited on Vancouver Island due to size.  It took Keith a year to find a position that he felt would be a good fit for his skills and career stage.  In July he accepted the role of Director, Information Technology at BC Pension Corporation.  When the deal was final I felt like we’d hit the jackpot!

Life quickly came together. His house sold and we packed up to drive west. But before we did he had to leave his current position, a job he said was the best he’d ever had!  

I was invited to the Farewell Party at the University of Alberta. Over 125 people attended.
 
Keith’s boss heaped praise on Keith for all he’d done as a leader in the organization. He then invited people to come up to the mic. People lined up to thank Keith and share with the audience how he’d not only contributed to the work but also to their lives.  
 
Speeches

Keith and his boss Trevor


 
 

 
 
Once the speeches were over people lined up to shake his hand and thank him one last time. Tears were shed, laughs and hugs ensued.

Everyone wished us both well. It was a wonderful event but I felt a little guilty taking him away from such great people.
Keith and his assistant Amanda

1 comment:

Katharine said...

Wonderful to witness Keith's impact, Cynthia and to read of it here.
Big congratulations to you both for stepping into this new stage of life, in your new home with work that continues to inspire.
Warmly,
Katharine