Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Sunday 21 June 2015

Choices

The following is my one minute convocation speech which I delivered to the graduates of the 16 health and human service programs at Camosun College. 

Good morning graduates,
I bet we look like we’ve stepped out of a Harry Potter novel.  
My VP, John Boraas, and I in my Flinders finery

To quote that popular story, headmaster, Dumbledore said:
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

Think about it.

When you reflect on your journey here, the choices you made were crucial, right?
Some of those choices were good ones – like taking a break before starting school or getting extra help from the writing centre.

Some choices may have not been so wise? Remember? Parents I’m sure you remember?
Your instructors, your family and friends supported you to make good choices and are here today continuing that support. 

Your supporters deserve applause!

And despite your talent, smarts and experience, which you have in abundance, it was being able to make choices that led you on your journey.
You had a choice.

As you go out in the world with the knowledge and skills you gained in your program in the school of HHS I want you to remember.
Not everyone has a choice.

I am here on this stage today because I had choices. 

My mother had musical talent and good grades.  But as a young woman in the 1950s she had limited access to college, contraception, or career choices. 

As we have learned through the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, generations of First Nations children and their parents had no choice in being sent to residential school.   

And the working poor in our city, in some cases single parents with young children, have limited choices for nutritious food at over-subscribed food banks.

Smoking, drug use and homelessness are not a choice.

As you leave today and head out to support and serve people in the community help them to have choices and… do what you can to make the healthy choice the easy choice. 

You will change the world.


Congratulations and best wishes! 

No comments: