Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Tuesday 6 October 2015

Magnificent Trees

This is the second blog about our trip down the Washington and Oregon Coasts.

We witnessed immense, towering hemlock, spruce, fir and cedar trees, similar to the giant Kauri trees we saw in New Zealand. To think that all these trees start from a tiny seed, and grow to be as tall as 200 ft. with as much as a 59 foot circumference and live for a century!

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.       

Joyce Kilmer

Douglas Fir Trees along Rialto Beach, Washington

One of the world's largest Sitka Spruce trees - high winds last year knocked the top off this 700 year old tree. 




Moss covered Maple trees 
in the Hoh Rainforest,Washington


Giant 1000 year old Sitka Spruce tree at Quinault Lake
191 feet tall, 59 feet in circumference and 100 years old and still magnificent and growing! 





              

No comments: