Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Sunday 22 January 2017

The Women’s March and Feminism

Seguing from my last post, the horror continues with Trump having taken what someone called the “Oaf” of office.  (I am committed to continuing to find humour in this dark time.)

I painfully watched some of the clips of the Inauguration. Although Trump and his wife (I don't feel they have earned the right to be called the President and First Lady) barely smiled the Obamas and Clintons (and others) looked to be in shock.

During the election I heard young women interviewed on the news, and some I know, say they didn't support Hilary Clinton (favouring Bernie Sanders instead). They saw her as part of a corrupt government. When asked why they wouldn't vote for the first women with a chance to be the US President they expressed that her gender was not a reason to vote for her. And, when asked about feminism they said it didn’t speak to them.   

Yesterday, I marched with thousands of people I would call a new (third, fourth?) wave of feminists.My definition of feminism is not just about women’s rights but about everyone's human rights and equal opportunities including the all important access to health care.  

An Indigenous woman spoke, honouring the land and their traditions and reminding us of over a thousand missing and murdered indigenous women in Canada.

Elizabeth May, Leader of the Green party addressed the crowd and said “demagogues go after the weakest, the marginalized first." She went on to say “We stand united against hatred, intolerance, misogyny,… with men.”


And although there were mostly women at the rally, there were many men and children and even dogs.  


Many people had the pink signature 'Pussyhats'.  I was disappointed I hadn’t managed to make or scrounge one.





The Raging Grannies, who debuted in Victoria 30 years ago, sang about "pussy power" and the Mayor of Victoria, Lisa Helps, carried a placard that read: “Love trumps Hate”.

I made a friend and met an old friend and we walked together in solidarity. 

There were many creative slogans on the signs including: "Take your little hands off my body" and "Tweet women with respect" and with a photo of Trump's hair - "We shall overcomb!   


We shall...overcome!  


No comments: