Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Sunday 26 August 2018

WOR


Every summer I look forward to my return to the Rocky Mountains where I’ve spent many days hiking, skiing or driving through to the coast. I have always marvelled at their immensity and beauty having grown up in other parts of Canada. My love of these mountains is one of the reasons Keith and I chose to get married in Canmore amidst these amazing giants of western Canada.

Since 2005 I have hiked the trails and paths of The Rockies with an amazing group of women, known as the Women of Rock (WOR). This year was no exception despite all the other things I had going on.  I ensured that neither a birthday party nor wedding interfered with the well planned trip.  

In the past 13 years I have participated in 10 hikes, including one in Glacier National Park, just off the Trans-Canada Highway on my drive out to my new life in Victoria. 

View from Beauty Creek Hostel
This year we stayed at the Beauty Creek Hostel, about an hour south of Jasper and a few minutes north of the Columbia Ice Fields.  I had not been to this portion of the Icefields Parkway in decades and noticed how much the glacier had receded and the many new buildings to accommodate all the tourists.


Stanley Falls
Columbia Ice Fields


Some of the WOR overlooking Saskatchewan Glacier 



Twenty one of us hiked over three days at Stanley Falls - similar to Maligne Canyon without so many tourists; Wilcox Pass overlooking the Columbia Ice Fields; and Parker Ridge where we could see the Saskatchewan Glacier.

Due to the many forest fires in BC, as you can see we were hiking in haze but fortunately not smoke.

Another view from Beauty Creek Hostel
As you can imagine, over these 13 years we have all aged. The oldest members of the group are now 71 though you’d hardly know it. They hike as fast and look as young as the rest of us!  Although we used to hike many kilometres into the hut we now plan locations where we can drive up pretty close. Apart from less difficulty packing in all our stuff it allows us to bring more variety and fresher food - a definite plus! 

Some members have left the group, new women have joined in, a couple of women have had hip replacements and sadly, we lost a member of the group to cancer last year. 

But we continue and we are already planning our trip for 2019!  I can't wait! 







No comments: