Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Sunday 21 October 2018

Oh Victoria!

I have been meaning to write this blog about the uniqueness of this city where Keith and I now live.

The idea for it began when when Keith visited me the first year I lived here.  It then expanded when he moved here. 

After each vignette please roll your eyes and  say out loud "Oh Victoria!"

Everything closes at 5! 

A few months after I moved here I decided to walk over to a shopping mall after work.  It was a Tuesday night and I arrived at the SEARS entrance close to 5:30. I walked in and went up the escalator. There was a cashier serving a woman and child. I walked by them and was approached by a Security Guard who said "Sorry Madame, the store is closed.  Please follow me out."  Most stores are closed by 6 every evening.  

Small Town

One weekend when Keith came to visit we went to the grocery store and ran into someone from my work. We went to the liquor store and ran into another person from my work shopping and the husband of someone from the college working there. Then we went out for dinner and you guessed it.  Keith said "This place is too small for me!"

"I'm not driving to ..."

People complain about driving a few kilometres.  We were at the service desk at a lumber store and overheard a women, in reply to being told she needed to go to the other larger store 20 minutes away, indignantly say... "I'm not driving to Langford!"  That has become our mantra when we're told we need to go to the suburbs!


Fog

The second month Keith worked here was October, notorious for thick morning fog. He was at work but his Administrator wasn't there. He received a text from her telling him that photography was her hobby and the fog was amazing that morning so she would be in later.  

Older population

Early on in his employment Keith led the change of the phone system.  As people tend to dislike change there were complaints and a common complaint was "But we have our doctor on speed dial. How will we phone them now?"

Getting to know you! 

Whether at the grocery store or a trades-person at our house to provide an estimate, it seems that everyone loves to talk, ask about you and tell you their story.  We know more about people we don't know than we ever did anywhere else we've lived!  At first it drove us crazy, especially when we're waiting in line and the cashier is chatting with the customer.  Now we actually appreciate how friendly people are and how interested they are in us.  






No comments: