Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Saturday 2 June 2012

The Fleurieu Peninsula

South Australia continues to offer up its majesty and never disappoints.
Today I went on a day trip to Encounter Bay, named logically after the place where a peaceful encounter happened between two explorers, Flinders and Baudin, despite their countries being at war. It is on the Fleurieu Peninsula named after the French explorer and hydrographer Charles Pierre Claret de Fleurieu.
We stopped for a visit at Victor Harbour exploring the bluffs where surfers competed below and dolphins frolicked.
Many of their ships were marooned off these rough coasts.
We then took the horse drawn tram across the causeway to Granite Island and saw the endangered Little Blue penguins. I wrote about seeing these “Fairy Penguins” in Tasmania but the battery died on my camera preventing photos. New Zealand Fur Seals have reduced the population from 2000 to 200 in 25 years. That's my friend Sarah from Bangladesh.
We then went south to Goolwa, one of the many communities that has kept its aboriginal name. The Kaurna and Ngarrindjerri people settled there. Lots of spectacular surf beaches.
I’ll be back here surfing when it warms up!

No comments: