Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Saturday 30 June 2012

The Clare Valley

Today Darlene took Sugi and I to the Clare Valley, north of Adelaide. Linked by scenic roads and framed by farms and vines, it is an idyllic setting. Settled by Irish in the 1840s hence its named after County Clare in Ireland. It's a collection of small, quaint towns including the namesake with bakeries, antique shops, heritage buildings, hotels, pubs, museums and galleries and of course vineyards and boutique wineries - I counted 21 in a 25 km.
Fleeing religious persecution in Silesia (now part of Poland), Jesuit priests planted the first vines in 1851.
Because of the cooler weather it produces some of the world’s best Riesling. We can attest to that!

1 comment:

Katharine said...

Hi Cynthia
As I read this post, I sit in the enormity of my choice, the first full day of having finished well my career with EPSB. A grand party on the 27th (kismet - 27 years celebrated on the 27th)and now to unpack, recycle, toss out what is no longer needed. That will take time to sense and sort.
Like you, I have stepped off the edge.
Love
Katharine