Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Sunday 28 July 2013

The Purge



I’ve been packing up my house. Twenty seven years of stuff and memories. The girl’s baby clothes and artwork and I couldn’t part with.  Keys saved because I wasn’t sure what they were for or if I’d need them again. Ornaments and jewelry passed down the generations. Décor from previous iterations of my house. CDs, tapes, and the associated video and other equipment that’s now out of date and worthless and no one wants it. We loved the Dollar stores when they arrived but I’ve since cursed the accumulation of items from them.  We loved Lulu Lemon bags when they first appeared but now we have thousands!  Cleaning products, gardening supplies, so much stuff.
I’ve been purging since May when I accepted the job in Victoria but now it's crunch time. The movers are coming and the piles don’t seem to be shrinking. I’ve rented an apartment that's one third the size of my house with no double garage or attic so can’t accommodate even all the furniture, let alone the boxes of games, seasonal ornaments, arts and crafts materials etc. etc.
It seems that the more I haul to the recycle or the charity the more appears. Kinda like a hole in by basement where, when I'm not looking, stuff gurgles up. 
I’ve promised myself never to buy another purse or hat or dish I don’t need, never. I can’t bear the thought of going through all this again. Ever!

No comments: