Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Monday 1 July 2013

Happy Canada Day!



Today Canada celebrates it's 146th birthday.

I think I’m truly Canadian. I’ve lived across this vast country, being born and raised in the francophone city of Montreal on the mighty St. Lawrence river,  then growing up in the flat, big sky, prairie city of Winnipeg, then settling to raise a family in the river city of Edmonton and now ending my working days on the far west tip of the country in Victoria, British Columbia. 

I've celebrated Canada Day in many capital cities, notably our nation’s capital of Ottawa but also Winnipeg, Regina and Edmonton. About a decade ago I celebrated Canada Day in Sydney, Australia then got on an Air Canada flight home and celebrated with the passengers then arrived back in Edmonton on July 1 to more celebrations!
Today, I was served birthday cake by seniors at the airport after dropping Keith off. Then, for the first time, I mingled with the throngs in Victoria, at the Parliament Buildings by the Empress Hotel and the boats in the Inner Harbour.  Most people were decked out in red and white, adorned with flags wrapped around them or tattooed on their face or fluttering in their hair or being waved in their hands. I felt proud and not so lonely. I'm at home, no not Edmonton but Canada!



No comments: