Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Monday 9 October 2017

Azulejos

Azulejos means "tile" in Spanish.  From the Islamic architecture of the Moors in the Alhambra in Granada to the more modern day green 'subway' tiles on a building in Porto to the tiles that tell the history of Pinhao on the Douro River in Portugal we admired beautiful, colourful and artistic tiles everywhere we traveled. 
Our room sign at the Plaza Nuevo Hotel in Granada, Spain

Islamic tiles in the 9th Century Alhambra in Granada
Ceiling tiles in the 12th Century Kasbah, Tangier, Morocco
Moorish tiles in the 16th Century Real Alcazar, Seville


Tribute to Barcelona at the Plaza de Espana, Seville


House sign in Salema, Portugal

Painted tiles on an apartment in Lisbon, Portugal 

'Subway' tiles on a building in Porto, Portugal

Ornate Islamic Tiles in the Palacio da Bolsa, Porto, Portugal

Tiles depicting the landscape of Pinhao, Portugal on the side of the Train Station


1 comment:

Katharine said...

I recognize some of those tiles!!! having been in Sevilla in early September. First to a writers' retreat near Aracena an hour + northwest of Sevilla in Andalucian mountains. LOVE that country. LOVE that city.
My travelling companion had not been to the Real Alcazar before, only to Al Hambra. She said it was every bit as magnificent, and far less crowded.
I'm the scout for my husband, so next time Spain and Portugal, too.