Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Tuesday 10 October 2017

Urban Art

One of the first things that struck me being back in Europe was art everywhere I looked.  Whether it was functional like a bridge or a lampost or a fountain or decorating a business or purely there for people to enjoy - art was everywhere. In many cases artists worked with architects to design beautiful structures.  Some of the art was centuries old, other was recent.  In all cases it was important to the people of the community. 

Here are some examples.

Puente del Alamillo (bridge) in Seville

Fountain in Seville
Another fountain in Seville

Lamp in a square in Seville



Flower pots outside a restaurant in Seville

Fish sculpture in Tarifa, Spain

The iconic bull in southern Spain

The iconic Portugese 'cock'

Street art by Bordalo II in Lisbon
Street art by Bordalo II in Vila Nova de Gaia

Fountain in Porto


Another fountain in Porto -
probably the community's water supply at one time. 
Sadly, I have felt deprived of urban art in many cities and parts of Canada.

No comments: