Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Friday 18 May 2012

The AGSA

Yesterday afternoon I headed to the Central Business District or CBD for a lecture at the University of Adelaide.
There are three universities, quite something for a city the size of Edmonton. I had to find the hall amongst several turn-of-the-century buildings.
The lecture was unremarkable but they provided tea and sandwiches, very civilized.
As I was leaving the University I noticed a beautiful colonial style building, pillars and all, made out of local limestone. It was the Art Gallery of South Australia (AGSA).
I entered and was greeted by two welcoming women who informed me that entrance was free and I could have a tour. Now, for those of you who know me, I rarely have time to do things spontaneously. But here my time is my own.
Wow what a place! I was the only person on the tour. Ann, my guide, provided me with a thorough description of each room we visited, identifying some of her favourite pieces, how the art is organized, and the significance of the colour coded walls. It seemed to go on forever with several floors housing Islamic and Southeast Asian collections of artifacts, interactive modern installations, aboriginal art on its own and integrated with Australian period pieces, a jewelry exhibition and famous Masters and contemporary artists from around the world including a show called 'La Belle Époque' with French prints and drawings from the 1880s to 1910s.
Ann enthusiastically pointed out what I could see on my own after our hour together. I was exhausted and plonked in front of giant screen to watch a Japanese film on war. It was in a room which included the same dark works by Goya that had been at the AGA (Art Gallery of Alberta) last year.
I will return to see the rest!

1 comment:

Katharine said...

I love this post, Cynthia, as it so reminded me of my travels to Europe last year. Countless times I wandered into spaces, some intentional, some on a whim because I was curious, and saw what I'd never seen before, often with few people because I was travelling off season (the best!!!!!) One of my most memorable, because of the contrast it evoked, was seeing a magnificent exhibition of impressionism at the museum beside the Milan's Duomo, beautifully curated. The vibrant colours and subject matter were a delightful and much needed change from the predominant religious motifs. Your picture reminded me of that experience because it was art created during the same time period. Thanks for the memories!!!! and Brava bella for "moving at the pace of guidance" to be filled with delight! And in case you didn't return to my post to read my reply to you - thank you so much, and know you have been a source of encouragement and inspiration for possibility since we firt met almost a year ago!