Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Sunday 5 May 2013

Real Life

So my blog has been less eventful since I've returned to Canada. Oh I know there was the wedding, it was an important event in my life, and my daughter Andrea's wedding planning and some fun things I've posted but I've neglected to post about the 'other' events in my life. The not so nice events.
While I was in Australia, July 14th 2012 to be precise, Edmonton had a torrential downpour that the sewers couldn't contain and water seeped into my basement. It was the first time this house, built in 1967, flooded. My daughter Stefanie got right on it. Friends came over and helped her empty the basement while she negotiated coverage with the insurance agent. I was on the phone with her at 2 am in the morning while Keith and I were vacationing on Kangaroo Island.
Anyway the insurance company agreed to cover it all and began to tear down the basement in autumn and were still dismantling it when I returned to Edmonton December 17th.  My insurance agent alone had 1000 similar claims!
Finally the construction began in late March. I was told I would have a basement by the end of the month. Then Keith had a look at the work that was done the first day of renovation. He could see through the drywall that there was insulation missing in places and unattached vapour barrier. He ordered the work stopped and we fired the contractors. So...Keith and some professionals, namely Jeremy and Cody, started the work of deconstruction. You can see in the top photo there is no insulation on 3/4 of the wall, in a climate that is often 45C below in the winter!  Here's a photo of Keith and all the stuff that was removed from the basement being taken away.  We're still working on it.....


No comments: