Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Nanny


In the early 70's we left Montreal and my grandparents followed their daughter, my Mother, and our family to Winnipeg. But after a couple of years they decided it was too cold. So they moved to Victoria to be closer to their other daughter.

Nanny with my Mum and Step Dad Allen
My grandmother had lied about her age to work at the Sunlife Assurance Company in Montreal in her teens.
After getting married she spent her life raising a family, cooking, knitting, sewing and volunteering. 

Nanny and Grandad decided to buy their own home, after living in an apartment in Victoria for a couple of years. It was one of the earliest apartment condominiums.

My grandfather was already retired. So Nanny, who had energy to spare, went out to work to pay for it. Once again she lied about her age as she was in her early 60's.

She found a job working in accounts at Standard Furniture.
She socked away her money and had the condo paid for in a decade. And she acquired some nice furniture to boot!


Here's the truck delivering a chest bed we bought from Standard Furniture.


Nanny's gone but I have lots of good memories.

1 comment:

Katharine said...

Dear Cynthia, not sure if I'm reading correctly that your beloved Granny has passed recently? Yesterday I received word that my chosen namesake, a dear woman who loved me dearly, and my father's cousin, passed. Bittersweet, and this morning, I wished for her to be reunited with her deceased husband, and too, my beloved Oma. Blessings to you and your family. I enjoy reading and seeing how your next chapter is evolving - beautifully!