Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Hummingbirds in Winter

Just before Christmas my camera stopped working.
I checked out the Boxing Day sales and decided to purchase a better camera with more features.

In order to learn how to use it and improve my skills I  joined a photography group.

The group sometimes gets together to take photos.  In between our meetings we are encouraged to go out and take pictures in a certain style or of a certain subject.  We post a couple of photos on-line and give each other feedback on our shots.

This weekend the subject was winter birds.
Here are some samples of my study of the Anna's Hummingbird that winters in Victoria.  This photo is of the little bird high up in a tree.

The remaining photos were taken through our kitchen window where a feeder is attached on the outside.
The birds are timid and aware of our presence. I have to skulk around to get a shot.  Yet this female bird held the pose for a long time, perhaps out of fear or vanity?
Anna's are one of the many Hummingbirds where the male has a beautiful jeweled throat and head.
My favourite shot, the female ready to fly away!

No comments: