Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Brrrr!


So it’s winter here in South Australia.
Here the seasons start on the first day of the month.  Winter started on June 1 and will end Sept. 1.  
As you know it’s nothing like the Canadian winter.  No snow in all but a few high spots in the country.  Temperatures stay at about the mid-teens, going down to about 5 or so at night with the sun rising around 7 and setting around 5:30 in the dead of winter.  And yes it rains…a lot. 
It’s something like Victoria but for one thing.  The houses are cold! 
There’s no central heating, no insulation, no basements, no triple pane windows. It’s freezing.
I was warned before I came here that I should find a room with air conditioning AND heating. Fortunately I did. My house has what’s called a reverse cycle air conditioner.
The Aussies just accept it but my friends from Europe and North America complain loudly.
I have a space heater in my room. If it gets too hot and I turn it off, within an hour the room temperature has dropped 10 degrees!  The student room at school also has reverse cycle air conditioners but when you go out in the hallways its freezing cold. We work in our warm cocoon.
Well it makes for some interesting temperature negotiations in meetings.
No comment on Australia’s carbon footprint.


No comments: