Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Monday 20 August 2012

Media

If you're looking for light reading or another travelogue you can skip this blog.
This is for those of you who like the 'edge'.
Countries like Canada and Australia used to have many independently owned newspapers.
There are 11 major newspapers in Australia, some city based and a couple country wide, just like Canada. Over the years their ownership has come down to two conglomerates, Murdoch and Fairfax.  So, if you're conservative you read the Murdoch papers and if you not you read the Fairfax papers.  But now the major shareholder of Fairfax is the richest woman in the world, Gina Rinehart, the mining magnate who earns a mere $50 million per day!
So how do you get unbiased news in Australia?  Julian Assange please help!
The control of media outlets raises concern everywhere. In Canada I think of the CBC.  How unbiased can Gian Gomeshi or Peter Mansbridge be when their salary is not only coming from a neo-liberal Harper government but is being threatened by that same government?  Comments?

1 comment:

Stephanie Bishop said...

I feel like I've been taking a bit of a media holiday here, in Botswana. The local news is focussed on stories like the Marikana mine tragedy/massacre across the border in South Africa, and the mysterious drowning of 3 water utility workers at Gaborone Dam, and of course, the first Olympic silver medal win for Botswana. I don't hear or see much international or North American news, but if I really wanted to, I could just go on line. Have I been missing much ?