Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Thursday 13 September 2012

The Public Health Community

I'm coming down off 4 inspiring days at the Australian Population Health Congress in Adelaide. I was able to get a scholarship by volunteering with other students.
Only downside, I had to wear an ugly orange golf shirt.

As you can see I am one of the 'senior' members. We were publicly thanked by the Conference Chair as the 'energetic and young volunteers' to a round of applause. Ha!

Well Canada may have inspired the world with the Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion and what followed in the subsequent two decades but Australia's health promotion community remains strong and active. The language of equity, inclusion, social justice, advocacy and the social determinants of health was overt in ALL presentations.   There were many people of Aboriginal descent present and presenting their work.  They walk the talk.

And they dance!  The first evening we were entertained by a group of Indigenous dancers and didgereedoo musicians.  Two nights later the delegates dined and danced the night away.  Fran Baum, who was one of the first on the dance floor, told me it is a custom at this conference.

In fact it was such a wonderful event that the participants asked that the organizers - 4 public health associations - not wait another 4 years for the next one.

Maybe I can come back!? 

No comments: