Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Friday 21 September 2012

Tour Guide


It’s just past 6 months since I landed in Adelaide. Long enough to get to know this place.

A woman from China arrived in the student room on Tuesday with not much knowledge of English.   Several of us agreed to show her around. So, last night I took her by bus to the city and to some of the sites: Festival Centre on the River Torrens, the South Australian Museum and Art Gallery, and Rundle Street – which is the downtown shopping district. She motioned that the city is small and snapped photos on her IPhone. 
Susan wih the 'pig' on Rundle Street

We headed over to Central Market and Chinatown. Susan came alive when she could speak Chinese to other people at the bakery and grocery store. It was nice to see her excitement.

We met up with some other students for dinner, one of whom brought her Malaysian-Chinese sister-in-law.   Rose was able to converse with her and share with us more information on who she really is.   
It was Carol-Anne’s (another Canadian) first time at the market too and she was thrilled with all the wine and cheese and fresh produce.  
Rose and Susan - coincidentally both really named  'Sue-Ken'
 It was a fun night for everyone and I realized I’ve gained something else while being here, I know this city pretty well.

No comments: