Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Thursday 19 January 2012

Identity

"So who am I?" In this year of change I find myself asking that question.  Does everyone ask themselves the same thing?
From my readings on Aboriginal peoples, identity is an important concept. The Elders say "You must know where you have come from to know where you are going." It teaches us that we must know our histories to know who we are (Monture and McGuire, 2009).   Loss of identity has had traumatic implications for aboriginal peoples health and social systems.
When I went to work everyday for someone else I defined myself by my job. Now I mostly work for myself so who is "myself'?
I am a mother, partner, sister, daughter, friend, scuba diver, swimmer, teacher, advisor, cyclist, the best boss I ever had and hiker. Below is a photo of me summiting Opal Hills in Jasper on an unusually hot but windy September 25th, 2011.
Next year I'll add full-time student to the mix... and maybe surfer chick!
Stay tuned.

No comments: