Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Thursday 19 January 2012

Really Stepping Off the Edge

Today I joined some of my hiking friends to watch over 3 hours of gripping yet beautiful films of the annual Banff Mountain Film Festival.  The festival travels the world so we watched the films in Edmonton (although going to see them in Banff would have been nice!).
This is something we do every year to inspire us to greater hiking achievements, to see what other and mostly much younger and more daring people are doing, to be awestruck by beautiful images of the amazing geography and topography of the world.
This year more than any many of the films spoke to the global environmental changes that are affecting the ecosystems that allow them to do the activities. As we experienced record breaking temperatures of 80 C today with little snow this message hit home.
We watched artistic and exciting films that were shot in Alaska, Chad, the Congo, Fernie, Vernon, Trail, Utah and Pakistan.  We witnessed people kayak, ski, climb, leap, base jump, and even slackline, a relatively new form of tightrope walking between rock and mountain peaks.  While my hands were dripping wet during most of the movies the daredevils on screen were in no way cavalier about their sport. We heard people reveal on camera their innermost fears and worries, their humaness and emotion bared for all to see and hear.  I was especially surprised by an accomplished climber whose self talk was about how stupid he was for getting himself in an avalanche area.  Many spoke about how the experience, good or bad, changed them for the better.  We may see some of these people as crazy yet they were extremely thoughtful and in most cases spiritual about their experience and what it taught them about facing death and life.
I am only going to Australia, not kayaking down the south Nile where if the Class 5 rapids don't kill me a hippo, crocodile or the local militia might!
I highly recommend this experience: www.banffmountainfestival.ca
You can get a taste at: http://blueobsessionfilm.com/
Cynthia

No comments: