Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Wednesday 25 April 2012

ANZAC Day

Today was a National holiday commemorating the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC). Similar to Remembrance Day there were services and wreath laying, albeit outside and at dawn, all over Australia. This was followed later in the day by military parades.
April 25th was the date, in 1915, that the Australians landed at Gallipoli. By the end of the war they'd suffered the loss of 60,000 men, huge for a country of few people. All were volunteers. There is still a feeling of loss and betrayal by the English who directed them into battle.
People wear Rosemary on their lapels instead of poppies. Since ancient times this aromatic herb is believed to improve memory. Perhaps because of this, rosemary became an emblem of both fidelity and remembrance in literature and folklore. Rosemary has particular significance for Australians, as it is found growing wild on the Gallipoli peninsula.
I went to school - it was quiet and I got a lot done.

No comments: