Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Horse Racing

If you were on Google today you saw the photos of the horse that Eadweard J. Muybridge (born 182 years ago) photographed, or rather the horse did, as his leg hit the string tied to the shutter of each camera. The purpose of the exercise was to settle an argument about trotting horses, that all four hooves do in fact leave the ground for a moment. While doing so, he invented the motion picture.
Coincidentally I had a horsy day myself at the Oak Bank Races, a well know South Australia horse race. It wasn’t what I expected. As per the British tradition there were lots of young women wearing dresses, fascinators and high heels.
In fact there were 4 horse races going on around Australia that you could watch on the screen and bet on. I actually bet on a few races, managing to break even. This is an American horse named Juliet’s Princess who didn’t come through for me.
There was controversy over the Steeplechase. A horse had to be put down at the same event on Saturday and three did not complete the event today – but were fine.
But in the centre of the track was a carnival with rides (yes camels and The Titanic?).
and food and games of chance. And people come in mini-buses and lug Eskies (coolers) and have picnics.
The booze was flowing. As the afternoon wore on several young men had trouble walking and finding the toilet… say no more.

1 comment:

Katharine said...

Hi Cynthia
I'm enjoying reading and seeing you new adventure unfold....cultural events, political commentaries, festive traditions, sightseeeing and the beaches! Superb. But I wonder, how goes the studies! LOL! Enjoy this season of new beginnings and harvesting seeds planted.
Warmly,
Katharine