Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Scary!

I’ve been sleeping relatively well. However, being alone in the house this week the creeks became noticeable.
I awoke this morning at 4:30 to a strange hissing sound. I sat up and listened and no, it was not my imagination, there definitely was an eerie noise outside my window. I can’t say what it sounded like as I’ve never heard this sound before, only to say that it was spooky. Of course I couldn’t fall back to sleep even though it eventually stopped.
I asked people at school and it turns out it’s a Possum. They’re protected here. If it continues to bother me I can call the Council (municipality) and they'll live trap it. I probably won’t ever see it, or them, as like most marsupials they’re nocturnal. They’re about the size and colour of the house cat I live with. So you can imagine my horror when I came out one morning to find a dead possum in front of the house!
They were introduced in NZ years ago and the Kiwis aren’t grateful except for those who keep their tootsies warm wearing socks from their fur.
Actually they’re quite cute looking even though they sound like a vampire before it sinks its teeth into you, at least from what I’ve gleaned from the Twilight trailers!
I don’t have a photo, the only one I’ve seen here was dead, but if you check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHulXzuc_9Y you can see and hear one!
Now tell me that isn’t scary!?

No comments: