Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Melbourne Cup


Today is known as ‘Race Day’ in Australia, the running of the Melbourne Cup. Even though it’s only a holiday in the state of Victoria everyone around the country celebrates.  

You can’t miss it. First of all the women’s stores in mall starts promoting ‘race wear’ months in advance – fancy dresses, high heels and hats.  Then of course it’s all over the media. Charles and Camilla attended. But even in Adelaide I spotted women going to work in their finest fascinators!  I did a double take, you can imagine how funny that looks. 

At morning tea today the betting was on. Of course I just had to participate. My horse, Kelinni didn’t place but I had fun anyway.  Someone said to me in an embarassed tone, "we are such an advanced race" (pardon the pun). But I think it’s fun and heightens the appeal of this country.     
The list of jockeys and horses
The tea room

No comments: