Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Wednesday 14 November 2012

The funny Aussies

I find the Aussies have a keen sense of self-effacing humour. They make fun of themselves, their celebrities and politicians. There is little vanity to be found here.  
A fine example of this is the book 'Strine' by a fellow with the pen name Professor Afferbeck Lauder. The Aussies don't speak English, they speak 'Strine'. A section of the book is a dictionary and in it is the following classic example:
Mary Header

Daughter of one of the early Strine graziers. She was responsible after years of bitter struggle with the authorities for the compulsory education for sheep. She thus lit a lamp which has continued to burn steadily down the years and many of today's finest Strine sheep must be grateful to her memory.
One if her little lambs, Charles, who had followed her to school each day, eventually became an essayist and poet of considerable skill and composed the following song in memory of his sponsor:

Mary Header little lamb;
An intellectual nit.
It never passed its first exam
Because it couldn't sit.

So Mary Header little lamb
With veggies and mint sauce.
"Oh, dearest lamb." she cried. 
"I am hungry as a horse."
 

No comments: