Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Sunday 22 July 2012

The Great Ocean Road



I visited Australia for the first time in 2003 and decided if I ever returned I wanted to drive the Great Ocean Road. We did that today and yesterday.   

The Arch
London Bridge
The Twelve Apostles

Four of the Apostles or islands have crashed into the sea, the most recent in 2005 (foreground) and the piece of land connecting London Bridge (above) to the mainland fell into the sea in 1990 leaving two people stranded.    
The area is known as the Shipwreck Coast as hundreds of boats have been damaged or sunk along the banks with loss of lives and horror stories from those who lived to tell.  We've never seen such turbulent foaming water, with huge towering waves coming in one after the other.  Although we stayed about a kilometre from the beach we could hear the thundering surf all night.

Loch Ard Gorge

Bay of Islands 



1 comment:

Katharine said...

What a wonderful vacation, Cynthia. You're seeing so much of that vast continent. I look forward to visiting sometime down the road. Best, Katharine