Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Friday 23 March 2012

The Market

I'm a regular at the Strathcona Farmer's Market in Edmonton.
It’s Friday. I left school a little early and took a bus to Central Market in the city (they don’t say downtown here). I'd heard about it even before I left Canada. Many of my friends go weekly. It is a permanent space with mostly fruit, vegetable, meat, cheese and bakery stalls. It blends into an Asian Market which is where I entered, through a red, lion adorned gate. The first place that caught my nose’s attention was a food court selling various soups and snacks. I had a bowl of Laksa, a spicy, coconut milk based Singaporean soup. It fit the bill on this cool, blustery day. I then wandered to a stand selling a warm custard like muffin with vanilla, lemon, chocolate or coconut filling which they make while you wait. You know what I chose. Comfort food!
The photo below says a few things about this place. If you look closely you can see a woman pulling a trolley. People of all ages use them here whereas in Edmonton only seniors do. They even sell them at the market. On the right there is a young woman with a red and black shoulder bag. This tells you she’s an international student. I have one. The sign on this stand says Fruit and Veg. No one says vegetable here.
I think I'll become a regular at this market too. Can't wait until next Friday!

No comments: