Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Saturday 10 March 2012

Wheels!


There are so many great things about Adelaide but public transport is not one of them. The bus schedule is fiction. There is no such thing as a bus pass. As a full-time student I get a discount on tickets but the most I can purchase at one time is 10 rides.  Buses don’t connect between neighbourhoods.  The fares are going up (currently about double what we pay in Edmonton).  
On the positive side I find the drivers to be patient and friendly.  When I asked one if he went up the hill to the Uni he replied “No I’m too old.”  When I asked another if he stopped where I needed to get off, he said “Not usually but just for you.”  One let me on for a reduced fare when he couldn’t break my large bill (yes they give change too, slowing up the process ).
It was not bad the first two weeks but with everyone back at school, and more traffic, I am later and later. So…
I bought a bike!
 
I need a variety of exercise and why go to the gym when it's always beautiful outside?     
I shopped around and landed on this one on the advice of the salesman.  Ironically it’s a Norco, a Canadian bike.  
I took a test run to the Uni today.  Mostly uphill but not too bad. On the way home I hardly pedalled.  Maybe I should have titled this blog 'Wheeeeeeee".

1 comment:

Katharine said...

Love the wheels, Cynthia. When I was in Austria a few years ago, of course everyone rode a bike(and especially so in Copenhagen, through all weather, all seasons, as I found ---- exactly a year ago when I was there).
I saw an orange FELT cruiser, much like yours, on the sidewalk by a bike shop in Innsbruck. I was soooo smitten for as you know, orange is my most favourite colour. Would they ship it to me in Canada? Why, in broken English, when the company is from North America. I immediately bee-lined it back to the hotel, googled and found that Velocity Cycle back home sold them. Well, not quite. Though over the course of several years, with them trying their best, far and wide to get me my orange 8 speed cruiser (in NA this model was a "what the point" one speed!!!) I finally settled on a Danish cadillac version - a VIVA, in cream, with a Brooks leather seat - that is ooolala! A bit heavy, but with seven speeds, panniers and a basket full of flowers from the farmer's market, I am instantly transported to the elan of Europe and women riding their bicycles everywhere. ENJOY!
Warmly,
Katharine