Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Uni

That’s what the Aussies call it. So I really do go to school, really. I even have my dissertation topic finalized but I will save that for another post. Flinders University is up on a hill with a beautiful view of the ocean. When I asked the campus fitness people if they had a pool this is what they pointed me to.
Now the locals talk about the beautiful lake on campus. It is picturesque, but to me does not compare to that other body of water.And like all Universities there is a ‘quad’.
My Faculty has not had any welcoming so to speak but the International Students Association takes good care of us ‘foreigners’. There is always something going on and for example I was at ‘afternoon tea’ yesterday. I see other students shopping, on the bus and in the neighbourhood but I don’t fit the demographic in terms of age and nationality, so I am invisible to them. Here is where I hang out every day. You will notice my owls (thanks Jen) and the ‘surfer girl’ calendar (thanks Gail)!
And here is my class, looks like Canada eh?

2 comments:

Robert Smythe said...

Hi Cynthia,
Have been following your trip, but didn't know how to leave a comment until getting the lowdown from Stef (assuming this works of course). Really glad you're taking us along for the ride. Would be jealous of your summer weather there usually, but not this year. You're hotter than i'd be comfortable with and it was +14 here today! Some kind of record i think. I'm considering starting to ride my bike to work next week.
Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness. Your postcard and birthday greetings arrived yesterday. Awesome timing. Looking forward to hearing more about your studies.
Be well and stay away from sharks in that beautiful ocean.
Namaste,
Rob

Stephanie said...

Hi Cynthia -
I was thinking about your comment of being invisible to the other students. I feel that way sometime, too, with my housemates who are in their 20's. Sometimes they look through me - or at me like I am a foreign species. When did I get to be old, all of a sudden ? haha -
Stephanie