Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Friday 17 February 2012

Australia’s convict past…


and it’s Canadian Connection.
Our final 'port of call' so to speak in Tasmania was Port Arthur. We stayed at a motel on the grounds of the former penitentiary that operated from 1833 – 1877.  In the ensuing years the buildings are all but gone either from bush fire or demolished as Australia tried to bury it’s convict past.
That's a Norfolk Pine through the window of what remains of the Anglican Church, Keith in the pews of the replica church, designed so the convicts could not see each other, and Keith in leg shackles that weigh 12 pounds.


Thousands of men lived and died here including about 100 French Canadians.  Although the majority in Upper and Lower Canada, they protested the ruling English in 1837 & 1838.  If you can imagine they were sent here after their death sentences were commuted!  They were pardoned in 1847 and all but a few returned to Canada.     Not sure why?

No comments: