Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Thursday 9 February 2012

Inner Earth

The north island of New Zealand is also referred to as 'inner earth', which we experienced today. We are in Lake Taupo, another geothermal area. We walked around the Craters of the Moon, an unusual landscape of dips, crevices, holes and valleys with steam coming out of them. The place smells like sulphur and every now and again you get a steam soak. Only the north island has the hot pools and geysers although it related to the plates under the whole country that have been responsible for the earthquakes. As we drive around we see steam rising up out of fields and beside the road. We also walked along the Tuka River and Falls, a powerful force of crystal blue water carving out big chunks of the rocky banks.

No comments: