Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Thursday 2 February 2012

Day 1 - Auckland and North

We're here in New Zealand, after a long but well serviced flight. My two bags weren't overweight, and arrived intact, thus reducing my stress level (maybe had something to do with a certain airline with the initials AC not being the carrier). We arrived in Auckland at 4:30 am. Keith suggested that since I had driven on the left side of the road before I should start off in the driver seat of the rental car. The 'before' was over 30 years ago when I lived in London and a friend let me drive his little sports car in roundabouts. Despite little recollection, I was up for the challenge and drove from Auckland to Pahia - 5.5 hours. Like every tourist, I forgot to look right once - close call but we made it unscathed. Lots of hairpin curves and rolling hills, unlike our prairie straightaways. We took a few breaks to dip our toes in the warm, bubbly surf and walk in the silky, talc like sand. Oh how I missed the ocean. Wonderful long beaches and rocky islands not unlike Thailand - not quite as magnificent - but still amazing. We drank 'Flat White' coffee, less foamy and milky than a latte and ate fish and chips for lunch. People are friendly. It looks alot like Sydney by the Sea. We have a sweet B & B overlooking an estuary (where some Maori were paddling Wakas or large wooden canoes earlier) and rolling hills, run by a nice couple from The Netherlands who have been here for 6 years, leaving a hectic work life behind. I asked one of them what the funny trees that look like a combination Christmasand palm tree were called. He smiled and said 'Canadian Pine'.

No comments: