Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Tuesday 14 February 2012

First sight of my new home

Our trip was booked to Adelaide (with a stop over in NZ) and we flew there Monday. I had the window seat to see my new home as we approached the airport. The first thing I saw was the stretch of blue ocean and crashing waves along the sandy beach. I then saw a sprawling city with a small downtown - not as large as Edmonton. I was worried I might get a grilling at Customs since I have a student visa. I breezed through. But since we declared we had some food, Keith and I had to stand in the Quarantine line so the beagle could sniff our bags. Australia and NZ are very strict about not allowing opened or fresh foods in the country. Fines are $400 if they find an undeclared item on your person. Anyway the dog was uninterested in us thankfully. My colleague Lori and her husband picked us up at the airport and took us around the city. We saw brick bungalows, golf courses and swimming pools, a large cricket stadium, gardens, parks, beaches and several blocks of arts and cultural buildings. I even saw the Health Sciences building where I will take classes at Flinders University, so it all seems real! We walked around one of the many parks and saw a koala bear up a tree and some wild emus and lorakeets - colourful parakeet type birds. It was hot and sunny. I think I will like it!

No comments: