Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

I created this space to post my thoughts and photos. It began in 2012 with my travels to New Zealand, Tasmania and living and studying in Australia then continued back to Canada with my return home to Edmonton and moving to Victoria, British Columbia. Join me on the journey. Post a comment!

Saturday 4 February 2012

Waitangi Treaty Grounds

Today we went to the place where the Waitangi Treaty was signed by the Maori Chiefs and the British in 1840. We happen to be here on the anniversary of the signing so the place is full of dignataries, Maori from all over New Zealand, and tourists. There were protesters, security guards and police everywhere. In fact we innocently walked right past the Prime Minister and his entourage. The issue is land rights and oil drilling - sound familiar? It is a national holiday and our hosts are throwing a dinner party. A German couple at our B&B are here specifically for the event and are leaving at 5 am for the official ceremony. At the Treaty grounds we walked through rainforest type vegetation to ornate, carved poles with mother of pearl inlaid eyes and buildings with carved posts and beams. We were entertained my local Maori in traditional dress singing, doing war and other dances. They open their eyes wide in a threatening gesture and stick out their tongues. They use sticks and twirling balls on strings as exercises for the body and mind. Keith called them the original clackers!

No comments: